If you could’ve known me six years ago you would understand the gravity of me making a brussel sprouts recipe. I mean, I was so fucking picky. The only vegetables in my diet at the time were potatoes (but not sweet potatoes) and carrots (but only prepared certain ways). You would never convince me to eat Brussels.
Then in walked Dave Brown. We were actually already friends for a while before this. He had taken me out to dinner one day (as friends) when he was having a bad day and needed company. It was on him because your girl was broke as hell. He took me to this really nice restaurant and I dissected the shit out of my order to the point where the waiter rolled his eyes because he knew I was destroying the chef’s beautiful food. Fast forward to Dave taking me on our first date and it was like Groundhog Day. Here I was at a beautiful restaurant and too afraid to eat the amazing food. I made a vow that day that I would never be that girl again. I’ve forced myself to constantly try new things ever since and I’ve never looked back.
Look how far I’ve come! From a picky eater who could barely make mac and cheese to someone making a spicy brussels sprouts recipe. Boom!
I also want to mention this recipe was inspired by The Pioneer Woman and her spicy brussels. I made some big changes to suit my taste, but she is the OG and definitely makes the better brussels.
For the sauce:
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp olive oil
2 tbs red wine vinegar
1/3 cup honey
Juice and zest of one orange
1 tbs brown sugar
3 tbs sriracha (1 1/2 if you don’t like spicy)
for the brussels:
1 lb Brussels sprouts
vegetable oil (maybe 3 cups. You want to cover the Brussels in the pot plus some)
handful salted sunflower seeds
salt to taste
pepper to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
1 tbs olive oil
seeds of 1 pomegranate
zest of 1 lemon
goat cheese crumbles
the yummy sunflower seeds you just roasted
- Start by browning your garlic in your olive oil in a sauce pan.
- Once garlic is browned, add red wine vinegar, honey, orange juice, orange zest and brown sugar. Constantly stir until sauce is thick like syrup.
- Remove from heat and stir in sriracha. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, add vegetable oil and a handful of sunflower seeds. Fry until golden brown.
- Remove seeds from heat and add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. Be careful not to make too spicy as the sauce will also be spicy.
- Heat vegetable oil to 400 degrees using a candy thermometer.
- Halve Brussels sprouts and add about 10 at a time to vegetable oil. Fry until deep brown (past golden brown).
- Remove from oil and place on a plate with paper towel to soak up excess oil. Continue frying sprouts until complete.
- In a large bowl, toss Brussels sprouts with sauce.
- Plate Brussels sprouts and add sunflower seeds, pomegranate seeds, lemon zest, lemon juice and goat cheese crumbles to your liking.
Voila! Delicious fucking Brussels sprouts that will definitely wow at your next dinner party.
I know I was skimpy on explaining the steps, but you can check out my IGTV video if you want to see the full process with commentary.
You can shop my plates, Star Wars trivets and Dutch oven below.
Death Star trivet: https://rstyle.me/cz-n/d2k52acjmjx
Millennium Falcon trivet: https://rstyle.me/cz-n/d2k52bcjmjx
Dutch oven: https://rstyle.me/cz-n/d2k5zscjmjx
You can also shop my outfit.
choker: The Black Amellia
hoodie purchase: https://rstyle.me/cz-n/d2k55gcjmjx
hoodie rent/purchase: https://rstyle.me/cz-n/d2k55rcjmjx
This post contains affiliate links. Click to read my full disclaimer.