There are a lot of cookies I love for the holidays. I can’t fault the simple, yet delicious sugar cookie. A pinwheel is always so satisfying. Gingerbread is an obviously delicious choice. Snickerdoodles and hot cocoa cookies are comforts and sometimes I just want the OG chocolate chip. Then you have the other lovelies like thumbprint and shortbread and snowballs and the list goes on. However, when all is said and done, the cookie I want most at Christmastime is the old fashioned molasses cookie, the spicier the better!
I’ve been making this cookie for many years now. When Dave and I first started dating and I spent my first Christmas with his family, someone bought molasses cookies. I don’t remember who and I never got a recipe, but I couldn’t quit thinking about these cookies. When I asked, no one remembered them being there, so I decided I would figure them out on my own. I wanted to make some for a party Dave and I were throwing. So, I tried a few recipes and landed on one that was similar, but I knew it could be better.
Fast forward to last year and I was now baking regularly. I knew how to change and create recipes with confidence and that meant I could start experimenting again. I used the recipe I’d liked and started playing with amounts of spices and finally realized what these other recipes were missing: a kick in your mouth flavor. These other cookie recipes were for pussies. No wonder I hadn’t found what I wanted! So, I made this recipe and have made them over and over since.
These cookies taste like Christmas bitch slapped you then came back for more with a baseball bat. I’m talking brown sugar and molasses goodness with ginger and cloves and all the spicy goodness.
Look, I know not everyone is wanting this particular breed of cookie, so just halve the spice or even quarter if you’re not into that, but if you love the flavors of the season, then these cookies are for you.
Now pardon me while I give you a half-assed recipe. These are actually near impossible to mess up, so you have that going for you. They’re also a one bowl cookie, so double hard to fuck up.
1 stick butter
⅓ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup packed brown sugar
⅓ cup molasses
1 ¾ cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp salt
Cane sugar for rolling
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Melt the butter and whisk in the granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the egg and molasses and whisk again until combined.
- Fold in the rest of your ingredients and mix until just combined. (Meaning the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.) Careful not to overmix. This is a ballet, not a boxing match.
- Using a cookie scoop, separate into rolled balls and roll your cookie dough pieces in the cane sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes and rotate at five for an even bake. If you don’t rotate, nothing bad will happen. This is purely for those who want the prettiest cookies.
Easy peasy lemon squeasy.